Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Too Much Popcorn?!?

Well, I started sending my food diary to Mark this week. He pointed out that one-fourth of my calories for the week came from popcorn, and that it has very little nutritional value. Both of those facts came as a big surprise to me. I knew that I was eating a lot of popcorn--I would have dinner, see that I had a lot of calories left, and make popcorn. By that time, I had already prepared three meals and really wasn't in the mood for more cooking. What's faster and easier than popcorn if you're not going to eat junk food or prepared foods? Besides, I love popcorn and the fact that I had figured out how to limit myself to 6 cups was a major miracle (1 teaspoon oil + 1/3 cup popcorn seeds). I would normally eat double that. I really can eat a tremendous amount of popcorn.

Any way, I had no idea that popcorn was taking up so much of my diet. And I always thought that popcorn had nutritional value, so I looked it up. The website I checked rated foods on a scale from 0 to 100 in terms of nutritional value. popcorn got a 17. Definitely not the score you want for a food that makes up that proportion of my diet. So they say the truth will set you free. I'm not sure I feel free, but it has been easier to resist popcorn and I cooked 4 meals today.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment