Sunday, May 27, 2012

New biking shoes

Last week I was filling our tires before going for a ride, and the inside of the valve on one of Liz's tires exploded into the garage. I completely cleaned the garage looking for it(I wish I had before and after pictures), to no avail. So we headed to the bike shop for the $16 repair. $400 later, we left with all sorts of new bike gear, including a new pair of biking shoes for me. Note to self, avoid the bike shop in the future.

I didn't need new bike shoes, but they looked so cool and high tech. The salesperson convinced me that my speed would increase. I didn't believe her, but it was enough to close the deal. I used to get new roller blades every couple of years in order to increase my speed, and these shoes have a closure like roller blades, so what could I do. Here they are in all their glory:





They had to special order them, so I didn't get them till Thursday. I immediately went out and was pleased to record my fastest time of the season at 1 hour and 2 minutes. When I came home to tell Liz, she admitted that she could be biking faster, but stayed behind me because she thought I'd be mad if she passed me. Well that upset me. I don't want Liz holding herself back in any way because of what she thinks I might think. But also, if Liz went faster, my speed would pick up too. So when we went out on Saturday, I challenged Liz to go as fast as she could to see if we could get under an hour.

I was amazed how fast Liz was going. Her training at Fitness Together is really having an impact. Liz has always been faster than me going up hills--whether it was running, roller blading, or biking. But I was faster than her on flats and especially going downhill, because Liz has had a fear of losing control going too fast down hills. So when Liz got ahead of me going up hill and I couldn't catch her on the flats, I figured I'd catch her on the downhills. But our trikes are so stable, Liz now feels comfortable going fast down hill. I caught her once on the way out, but she passed me almost immediately and that was it--she was gone. And how did we do, you might ask:




We not only went under an hour, we took 10 minutes off our normal time. Amazing!!! Now I'd like to get down to 45 minutes.

Hey, those new shoes were a great investment!!!


Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment