Sunday, January 16, 2011

Best Laid Plans

Well, my plan of 3 workouts in 24 hours didn't work. After about 10 minutes of spinning yesterday morning, my left ankle started hurting. I rode for another 6 minutes at a slower pace, and not standing on the pedals, and then my ankle started hurting all the time, so I stopped.

My ankle had started hurting during spinning the night before, so for the last 10 minutes, I didn't stand on the pedals and it didn't hurt. The problem with the place my ankle hurts is that it's the place on the inside of my ankle that was operated on, so there are plates and pins under the skin there. Here's the scar:

 The pain could be caused by everything trying to adjust to all that hardware, which is something I've really been aware of on my left wrist when I do push-ups.  Here's my arm scar:


Another cause could be because the pin that goes between the two bones in my leg has broken. My doctor saw that on my last X-ray and said to let her know if it started hurting me.

Unfortunately, it is also the place where I've had chronic pain since I was 23. That summer, I biked back and forth from Northampton and Amherst everyday, using a bike that had a problem with the pedals, so it had a little hitch when I pushed down on the left pedal. I was at an age that it never occurred to me that that repetitive motion could cause a chronic injury.

I know from years of experience, when that chronic pain starts, I have to take it easy on my ankle, or it just gets worse. I've had regular pain in my left ankle since my surgery, but it's never turned into that chronic pain. But I know when I feel it, I have to pay attention, so I'm taking today off, too, so that hopefully I can work out at Fitness Together tomorrow morning and take Peggy's spinning class tomorrow evening. Wish me luck!

2 comments:

  1. I hope your ankle feels better soon. I am glad you are paying attn to it - wise woman you are!

    ReplyDelete