Saturday, January 29, 2011

The Limit

My older brother told me I should blog every day, and I have to listen to my brother. I went to spinning class for the first time in 2 weeks. I could feel the effects of the lay-off, or at least I told myself I could. I didn't feel like I could keep the same cadence (pedal revolutions per minute) that I had the last time.

I did get my heart rate up into the 160's regularly, though, and averaged 144 beats per minute. I have this idea that I would average 149, because that was regularly my average when I was training for a rollerblading marathon. I think it will be hard to get to that average, though, because my training sessions on rollerblades typically lasted 2 hours or more. When I start spinning, even if I don't record my warm-up time, I'm usually starting around 120 bpm, and It takes a certain amount of time to get my heart rate into the 140's, 150's, and 160's. So when I'm only in spinning class for an hour, there isn't enough time at the higher rates to make up for the initial time when my heart rate is lower. Besides, the articles I've been reading about training talk about the benefits of periods of intense training, followed by periods of less intense training, which is what Peggy does in spinning class, bringing my heart rate down. I was probably training at too intense a level when I was rollerblading, which may have limited my progress.

I think I discovered my upper limit for aerobic training today. I went into the 170's for a brief time, and that felt qualitatively different. If that's the case, my maximum heart rate is probably 200 (assuming people go into anaerobic training at 85% of their maximum), rather than the 160 the standard formula gives for my age.

No comments:

Post a Comment