Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Gee But It's Great to Be Back Home

Wow, we had a great vacation! There were 60 members of my family there--60! Everyone was there except my sister Beth and her husband Tom and my niece Jessie's husband Jeremy. The weather was beautiful, the lake was a perfect temperature and everyone was in a great mood.

My mother didn't know who I was a number of times. The first time was on the Day we arrived. Liz and I had the task of taking my Mom to get a pedicure--her toe nails were so long, I was amazed she could put her shoes on. When we arrived at Wellstead, she was napping on the couch. When we woke her up, she had no idea who we were and sure wasn't going anywhere with us. I had to cancel the appointment and face the dismay of my sisters. Fortunately, I was able to make an appointment for later in the day, and by then she knew who I was and was happy to go, although at my sister's suggestion, I told her we were going to the foot doctor.

I thought it would be terrible when my Mom didn't know me, but it ended up being harder for her than for me. At one point, she asked if I was her great aunt Julie and when I told her I was her daughter, she was upset and apologized. I guess I'd had the image that when she didn't know me, she wouldn't know she didn't know me. It's much harder that she knows.

I ended up going to Dairy Queen 4 times. Four Blizzard's--yum!! I ate better than I usually do on vacation--small Blizzards instead of large, and no frozen Snicker bars. I don't know what my weight is yet--Dan pulled the carpet out of the tv room while we were gone and I couldn't find the Wii. Then Dan's parents and sister came to visit and his parents are staying in the tv room. So I won't know my weight until Thursday.

I'm really seeing how once I break a commitment, it's really hard to make it again. I really extended my birthday celebration longer than I really said I was going to, which made it easier to have the first ice cream at the lake, which made the next three even easier. Then when I got back, I decided it was fine to have a couple of beers with Dan and his family. Tonight we went to a Mexican restaurant and Dan and his father Tom were encouraging me to have a margarita, which was really tempting. So I know that not having alcohol today will help me not have alcohol or sugar tomorrow, etc., and that breaking down once most likely means breaking down many times.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment