Tuesday, September 27, 2011

At a Decent Interval

What a gorgeous day! I've been able to exercise 4 days in a row. It's great to have a break from the rain, although the rain brought us amazing mushrooms we've been enjoying. Pat is a fabulous mushroom hunter and she's given us hen of the woods and black chanterelles. They're both amazing--particularly in omelets.

Anyway there was a mist on the meadow this morning and it was amazingly beautiful. Liz took a picture of it a couple o days ago and when I cycled by this morning, it looked exactly like her picture:




The scene is of our neighbor the sheep farmers' meadow and barn. Liz is going to print the photo and give it to them.

I told Mark that I was only cycling 10-11 miles and he suggested I work in some intervals. Funny thing--Sara suggested the same thing the summer she lived with us and we went rollerblading most mornings. I don't remember that we ever managed to work it in. Mainly what we did was I led the 3 miles out, and Sara took off as soon as we turned around. I would try to stay with her until she as out of sight around some curve and then settle in at my normal pace.

That was a fun summer. Sara would blade with me in the morning, bike to work at Table and Vine (why did they close that great store!) where she hefted cases of beer all day, and then bike home. Despite all that exercise, she gained weight over the summer. How? Because we went to Slap and Paddle (Liz's name for Cold Stone Creamery) nearly every evening. Delicious!

Anyway, I took Mark's advice and threw in 4 intervals this morning. I can see that I am capable of much greater speeds than I am normally doing. So I'll continue doing intervals and see if I can increase my overall speed. I've been concerned about doing long organized bike rides because I think I'd fall way behind everyone. Maybe not!


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment