Sunday, February 20, 2011

How Satisfying

This has been a very satisfying week. I'm down 5.3 pounds from Monday. I know some of that is because I had a more salty diet than normal on vacation, but I'm down 3.4 pounds from before we left. I know that losing weight is never linear--there will be times that I'll stay the same weight for a week or so and times I'll lose more quickly, but it sure has been satisfying to get on the scale every day this week and weigh less.

I feel like I've really changed my eating habits. I really like the way I'm eating and how I feel as a result. One day on Ometepe I had 3 beers over the course of the afternoon and evening and ate ice cream. I really didn't like how I felt that evening. I want to remember that evening when I'm feeling tempted. The other important thing is that if I have a day like that, it can be a unique event, it doesn't mean I have to eat or drink like that regularly.

I feel like I'm back in the swing exercising, too, even though I don't have a specific event I'm aiming for. Wednesdays may be difficult until I find something I enjoy doing that day that I enjoy and is challenging. My niece Sara has proposed a running race at the lake this summer. We used to do what we called a triathlon at the lake--it started with three events--rowing, swimming, and running, but we cut it down to 2 because there weren't enough row boats, and the ones that were there varied so much in design it wasn't an equal contest. It was a great time. Being the competitive family we are, we gave out trophies and kept expanding the categories we gave trophies to--first place individual, first place team, first place over 40, and the most absurd, first person to finish who hadn't one a trophy. It all came to a crashing halt the year Sarah won. She was 11 or 12. My generation could see the future and it didn't involve any trophies for us, so that was it, we stopped doing it. So it will be fun to start it up again. I say we should still call it a triathlon--if we could call it that for 2 events why not for 1? I have to call my doctor to she what she thinks about me running--keep your fingers crossed.

1 comment:

  1. I was 9 when I won. I remember specifically because you we all upset and I realized my age wasn't even two numbers.

    ReplyDelete