Sunday, April 17, 2011

6 Days a Week

I actually worked out 6 days this week! It's been a long time since I did that. I went spinning yesterday, and spent the entire hour worrying about my heart monitor. It showed my heart rate in the 40's to start out with, and much as I'd like to have Lance Armstrong's heart rate when he was in his prime, I'm not there. There were times when my heart rate would be in the 140s or 150s and seem accurate, and then it would drop way down again. I started fretting about it--I can't trust it, is it going to do this when I'm biking, how annoying, will I ever know whether it's accurate.

As you may have noticed, I'm a numbers person. I like tracking my numbers--weight, days of the week I work out, average heart rate working out, etc., etc. But much as I like numbers, was it worth wrecking my workout to obsess about it? The second I got home, I realized that the problem was most likely that the battery was low. Liz got me a new battery when she took Bennett out to get her a potty chair, because we hadn't brought hers from home, and ours was definitely tear-inducing. Both problems nicely solved--we now have a ducky potty chair and a working heart rate monitor.

I decided to try Zumba this morning. I was the senior member of the class by a good 30 years. I felt totally clumsy trying to follow the steps-- generally a half-step late at least, and when I'd finally get the pattern, the leader would be on to something else. I felt like I did at my first dance in 7th grade, clumsy and out of step. Also, there were a lot of steps that involved twisting on my feet, which is the motion that resulted in my leg breaking in 6 places, which made me nervous. I forced myself to stay for 20 minutes and then spent 25 minutes on the exercise bike. When I finished, I was glad I quit when I did, because my ankle was really hurting.

I'm tied with my low weight since I started this process, and am hoping to be at a new low tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment