Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Leader of the Pack

I'm so competitive--a shock I know to my family and friends. I hate it when other cyclists pass me. It happened yesterday. I was taking it pretty easy because my broken leg was really hurting, when two real cyclists passed me like I was standing still. I immediately picked up my speed and tried to keep up with them. I was doing a pretty good job, and shortly thereafter, we went in different directions. Lucky thing, because I wouldn't have kept up for long. By the way, I could tell they were real cyclists because they were wearing real cyclist clothes. You know the clothes I mean.

Then today I was hanging out with Avery and he wanted to try Liz's trike so we went out for about 5 miles. I was feeling good because I regularly needed to slow down for him to keep up--yes, competing with a 14 year old boy (although he is at least 6'2"). The funny thing is that he was probably paying no attention to the speed and Liz's bike didn't fit him at all because his legs are so much longer. One of the disadvantages of the recumbent trikes is that they are fit to your leg length and can't be easily adjusted to fit someone else. You can easily shorten or lengthen the frame, but when you do so, you have to add links or take them away from the chain. Not something I'm willing to to when someone wants to try riding my trike.

On the way back, a cyclist passed me. He wasn't even a real cyclist--wrong clothes. I immediately sped up and then was torn--do I ride fast to try to keep up with this stranger, or be sociable and ride with Avery. Fortunately, my better self won out and I stayed with Avery.

Speaking of real cycling clothes, Ruth is encouraging us to get them. I've always admired them, but didn't feel like I had the physique to wear them. Ruth said that they are designed to make cycling comfortable and to not worry about my shape. I'm going to make getting real cycling clothes a reward for losing 25 pounds--I only have 11 pounds left to get there and I am losing weight quickly again because of all the cycling. I think Savanah was right when she told me to do cardio at a lower heart rate to burn fat-- that's what I'm doing now when I cycle, because my legs aren't strong enough yet to really get my heart moving.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

1 comment:

  1. No one is worried about your butt, they are too worried about their own. Get yourself some nice wicking cycling clothes for the summer - you will be so much more comfortable and I happen to know for a fact they will make you faster.

    ReplyDelete