Sunday, April 24, 2011

Tired

I had a great bike ride yesterday in the rain and drizzle. I headed off into the hills in Conway, and ended up doing 12 miles. I only averaged 6 minute miles, which is about the same speed I usually did rollerblading at the beginning of the season, but I know I'll pick up the pace as I train more.

Today is Easter and it was a fun day. We went to Bob and Diana's in the morning to color eggs and then came back to have an Easter egg hunt and dinner at our house with Ruth, Pat, and Bennet. Here's Bennett decorating herself with whipped cream:




Is it possible to be more adorable?

After Ruth, Pat, and Bennett went home, Liz and I went for a 14 mile bike ride, again into the Conway hills. I could feel how sore my legs were from riding the day before, but it felt great to be out again. It was the first long ride Liz and I have done together, and we're seriously considering doing the century ride that The Food Bank is organizing on September 17. It's a big challenge that will keep us motivated to train all spring and summer, and it's the same day as the North Shore Inline Marathon, so I won't feel as bad about not being there.

From what I can tell so far, the only body part that gets tired on a recumbent trike is the legs, which is fabulous, because I can push my legs to continue when they're really tired. For me, when I bike, it's harder to overcome the discomfort in my shoulders, wrists, neck, and butt during a long bike ride. It may be that we'll discover other things that start hurting as our distances increase. My whole system is tired, though, from 2 days of cycling, and I think I'll sleep like a baby tonight.

I was feeling bummed that I couldn't do much cycling in the next week, because I have a lot of meetings this week, but I just checked my schedule and I can get out either before or after work every day through Thursday. My knees are feeling a little sore tonight, so I may limit my workout tomorrow to going to Fitness Together. But if my knees feel ok, I'll bike after work.

But I won't be able to bike from Friday to Monday, because I'm flying to LA and then DC. I would love to try 25 miles next weekend if I were here. Maybe it's a good thing I'm traveling so I don't overdo it and get injured.

Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment