Thursday, April 7, 2011

Attitude of Gratitude

For some reason, I've run into a number of people lately who had heard about my broken arm and leg, but hadn't talked to me since it happened. Remembering what my life was like a little less than a year ago makes me feel incredibly grateful for the life I have now. Going from being in a wheelchair, unable to do the most basic things like get in and out of bed, use the bathroom, take a shower, get in and out of the house, and drive to being fully independent is an amazing shift. The only reminder that I broke my arm is a thin scar on my wrist--my arm is fully functional with a complete range of motion and no pain. And while my leg still hurts most of the time, I walk without a limp and can do almost everything I want to do. My main limitation is that I'm very cautious about doing anything that might result in a fall. I know I'm at high risk for breaking more bones, but in the meantime, I can live a normal life.

How amazing that I can workout with a trainer doing exercises with the same degree of difficulty that I did before the breaks, that I can push myself in spinning class. That I could return to Nicaragua and help build a house. It's really a miracle.

I am a regular reader of the obituaries in my local paper. This week, I've been reading them from a different perspective than I have before. Every week, there are obituaries for people in their 40s and 50s. It's much rarer to see obituaries for people in their 20s and 30s, but it happens multiple times a year. And then there are the obituaries for babies, young children, and teens. They are rarer, but still occur regularly. I am feeling grateful to be 60 and alive, for all my siblings and their spouses to be alive, for all my nieces and nephews, and great-nieces and great-nephews to be alive. I come from a huge family, and somehow haven't experienced that kind of tragedy.

Feeling angst about not losing weight seems a little pathetic, doesn't it. I am committed to continue my physical fitness journey, because I want to be able to live a full life for many years to come. But maybe I'll do so with a little less whining.

1 comment: