Monday, December 20, 2010

Come in From the Cold

It's amazing how warm 28 degrees feels after a few days of being in temperatures around 10 degrees. Here's my niece Katy providing perspective on the height of the snow in a parking lot. They are supposed to get another storm tonight. I don't know where they are going to put it.

I thought I had a great weekend in terms of my fitness goals. I got in 2 workouts--it was fun working out with my nieces Katy and Sara. I was thinking about how it never would have occurred to me to work out with any of my aunts when I was their age. I don't think any of my aunts ever worked out. I'm hoping it's something they can continue with the next generation in our family.

In addition to working out, I stayed within my eating goals. Despite both of those things, I was somehow 1.5 pounds heavier today, which is frustrating. I really thought I'd get on the scale, well, actually, I weigh myself on a Wii, and have lost a pound or two. I'm hoping maybe I injested more salt over the weekend than normal, and it'll be gone tomorrow.

I had a great workout with Mark tonight. We did a lot of balance work. My balance really suffered during my recuperation and it showed during my workout. Here's a sample exercise (I should have taken a picture):

Put a 15-25 pound weight in your right hand.
Square your shoulders back, and raise your right leg behind you at the same time you lower your torso in front of you until you make nearly a straight line
Bring your torso back up and your leg back down, but don't  touch your foot to the ground
Do a bicep curl by bending your elbow up to your chest and a shoulder press by raising your arm straight above your head.
Reverse the process to bring the weight down and repeat, never touching your foot to the ground.
After 12 reps, switch legs.

Ok, I touched my foot to the ground a bazillion and three times. It's a deceptively hard exercise.

I feel like I picked up a cold in the cold and am trying to decide what to do about working out. I've read that if your heart rate is elevated in the morning before you get out of bed, it's a good idea to take a break, so I'll see what the morning brings. In the meantime, my flight was delayed last night and I didn't get home till 2AM, so I'm making tonight an early night.

2 comments:

  1. Take it easy, don't forget to take care of youself while you take care of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey,
    I'm famous in a picture on a blog. I'm finally one of your followers too. "Resistance is futile, assimilation is inevitable, do not resist, you will be liberated"! (or so says the Borg from Star Trek about your blog) I also enjoyed working out with you and Sara. I'm so proud of you and you are always an inspiration to me. I loved our talks in the car as well. You are like my best friend and the bonus is that you're my family too! Love you

    ReplyDelete