Friday, December 17, 2010

On the Road Again

I'm in Minnesota. It's a balmy 14 degrees out, up from a low of 3, and working to a high of 14. Tomorrow is going to be the hottest day of my visit, with a high of 15, and the coldest day, with a low of 1. I can hear the furnace struggling to keep the house warm, taking brief pauses to catch its breath before resuming its work. There's about a foot and a half of snow on the groud and some truly amazing snow banks on the side of the road. I don't think the snow that's on the ground is going anywhere this winter--I can't imagine how high those snow banks will be by the end on January.

I weighed in yesterday and have lost 4.3 pounds in two weeks! I do not want to give any of that weight back to the scale because of my trip. I am committed to returning at the same or lower weight. I came up with a plan for enjoying food while traveling--make a delicious stir-fry of shrimp, onions, and snow peas on brown rice, but by the time I finished grocery shopping and made dinner, I just wanted to see the Celtics beat the Knicks. It looked like it was going the other way, but Paul Pierce made the game winning shot with .7 of a second left on the game clock. Go Celtics!

So I brought some food that I thought would be satisfying--some apples, raw sweet peas, and some energy bars. The airport was causing the normal cravings--a man across from me was making his ice cream cone look like the most delicious thing ever. But I stuck to my plan, and for the first time ever, spent the entire flight talking to the person next to me, and my food cravings disappeared. Maybe that was what I was really looking for--the nourishment of human connection.

1 comment:

  1. boy do I understand that craving- humanity is the best soul soother. You are doing great, I am so happy it's all good.

    ReplyDelete