Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Preparation H

The H is for health, of course. What were you thinking? After 6 months of not being able to work out because of doctor's orders, I've forgotten how much preparation is involved in being fit and eating well. I have my first training session for my new program at 7:30 tomorrow morning. That means I have to get up early enough to have some breakfast, pack a lunch and snacks, pack up what I need to shower after my workout and dress for work. And in order to prepare breakfast and lunch, I had to previously purchased the food I need to be able to make healthy meals.

The amount of preparation it takes is difficult with the busy lives we lead. It would be so much easier to stop for a bagel after working out and get take-out for lunch. Actually, the easiest thing to do would be to shower and get ready for the day at home, and skip the work-out. I was excited about winning the Fitness Together contest because I know I work out much harder with a personal trainer. I'm seeing that another equally important benefit is that I can't rationalize my way out of tomorrow morning's workout. I have an appointment. How many times have I told myself something like, "It's too much to get everything together to work out in the morning, and I need the sleep, so I'll work out at lunch or after work." I don't know the number but I can tell you that it wouldn't take many fingers to count the number of times I actually worked out at the alternate times.

Hey--taking spinning classes two days in a row, followed by going to the Patriots-Jets game did not hurt my leg, even though getting from the parking lot to our nose-bleed seats was by far the longest walk I've taken since I broke my leg. It was worth staying up until 3:30 in the morning to wath the Patriots decimate the Jets. What fun!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. glad you didn't push yourself too hard! and congrats on the blog, I look forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blog, Julie. I love that you are so committed to fitness and loving your body. Thank you for sharing your journey. Ruth

    ReplyDelete