Friday, December 24, 2010

Hitting the Bars

Today was my last workout at FT before heading on vacation. In addition it's Christmas eve and Alexandra's 14th birthday. We're going out to lunch to celebrate Alexandra's birthday and I'm making prime rib for a group for dinner tonight, so it was a good day for a tough workout.

Brandon had me workout with barbells today. I started with 60 squats, with weights ranging from 15 to 65 pounds. I'm pretty sure I alternated squats with some other exercise, but I sure can't remember what (perhaps osteoporosis isn't my only aging-related problem).

Then I alternated the bench press with the standing row.  Weights for the bench press went from 45 to 65 pounds. I really worked up a sweat with 65 pounds. I did 50 presses in total, but only 5 at 65 pounds. I am going to be sore tomorrow!

I did 60 standing rows, with weights ranging from 15 to 45 pounds. That's a tough exercise to keep good form with. I want to lift the weight with my shoulders instead of my back.

I am feeling great. I've lost 5 pounds in 3 weeks, and can feel the difference in how my clothes fit. I think I see a difference in the pictures of me  lifting weights. Be the first person to comment on my noticeable weight loss, and win my undying gratitude (or if you're a Pokela, a frozen Snickers bar at the lake--I know what appeals to my family).

So now my challenge is continuing my progress while we are in Los Cabos for a week. It's hard to know how many calories I'm consuming when restaurants are preparing my meals three times a day. Brandon recommends sticking to proteins, fruits, and vegetables and staying away from dishes with sauces or a lot of cheese. I'm hoping there is a scale there to help me stay in touch with reality. I know from pictures on the website that the hotel has a great health club. It'll help to be in beautiful weather--we'll be spending a lot of time be physically active outside.

Happy holidays!!!

1 comment:

  1. You're looking great! Working hard and inspiring us all. I am not a Pokela, but love Snickers!

    ReplyDelete