Saturday, December 4, 2010

I won!

The day I found out I won two months of training at Fitness Together I had weighed myself for the first time in two months. Not good news. I had put on another 8 pounds, for a total weight gain of 15 pounds since I broke my arm and leg. I'm not at my all-time high weight, but I can see it from here. I made a vow to start doing something about it, but have made that vow many times, and knew I wasn't likely to do anything.

And then I found out I won. It is amazing the difference it is making for me to win the contest. Now what I eat and how much I exercise doesn't just matter to me, it makes a difference for Fitness Together. I need to earn the amazing gift they have given me. One of the first things I did after getting the news was to go to the supermarket to get some nutritious food, and any time I think about getting some take out or buying some ice cream, it's easy to dismiss that thought, because of my commitment to Fitness Together.

I've been thinking a lot about what a difference it is making to have a commitment to something beyond myself in my ability to control what I'm eating and how much I work out. Because I'm not a hermit living in a cave in the forest. My fitness has always had an impact that goes way beyond me. I have a commitment to Liz to do what I can to grow old together as healthily as I can. I have a commitment to my employees to be healthy to run my company. I have a commitment to my family and friends to be healthy so I can be a person they can count on. And I have a commitment to the world to work for all people and cultures to be honored and respected for the gifts they have been providing the world. Once I complete my commitment to Fitness Together, I need to keep my other commitments front in center in my mind, and not pretend that my actions only have an impact on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment