Sunday, December 5, 2010

Psycho Trainer Que'est-ce Que C'est

Yes, I was a psycho today about training. My training program with Fitness Together starts on Tuesday, but I have a commitment to work out 4 times a week and had only worked out 3 times. I took a spinning class yesterday at the Y, and was debating whether or not to take another one today.

The main issue is that I don't know how much stress I can put on my healing left leg. Two months ago I set myself back a few days by doing the grocery shopping without crutches. A month ago, I did the same thing by taking a spinning class and then going to a play with Bennett at the Eric Carle museum (it involved a lot of walking and standing).

After the spinning class yesterday, I spent the rest of the morning and much of the afternoon shopping with Bennett. Yes, shopping. I hate to shop, except for sporting goods and electronics, but I discovered yesterday that taking a 3 year-old to Barnes & Noble, Petco, and A2Z was like going to three playgrounds. We had a great time. Here's a picture of Bennett with Curious George at B&N.


So what was driving me crazy (not a long trip) was whether spinning again today would hurt my leg, not only because of everything I did yesterday, but because tomorrow I'm going to the Patriots-Jets game with Bob, and that means many hours without my leg elevated, and lots of walking--taking the stairs alone up into the very top of the stadium will be a workout--think of Rocky.

The main thing is--I don't trust myself. I don't trust that I won't do too much and hurt myself and I don't trust that I'm thinking that because I'm being lazy and rationalizing myself out of working out. And I realized that one of the great things about the training program I'm going to be starting is that I don't need to worry about playing those psycho mind games with myself for the next two months. All of my workouts have been scheduled--no thinking needed. I also realized that I have a trainer who will be a partner with me in this. I don't have to engage in this internal debate--I can ask Brandon what he thinks.

So what did I do? After debating back and forth from early this morning until 2:30 this afternoon, I took the class. And felt great. Here I am at the end of class. I'll let you know how the stair-climbing goes tomorrow. Go Pats!

No comments:

Post a Comment