Saturday, December 25, 2010

Merry Christmas!!

It doesn't feel like Christmas, because I usually spend Christmas flying on a massive overdose of chocolate. It's the only day I typically start eating chocolate before breakfast and continue ingesting it at regular intervals throughout the day. I have to say, Christmas is much better without it. I usually have mood swings on Christmas that I've blamed on normal emotions around Christmas--who knew it was the chocolate!

I've been reading a book my niece Sara recommended--Ultramarathoner--Confessions of an All Night Runner by Dean x. It's not the best written book I've ever read, but it's really inspiring. Dean has run some amazing races--100 miles up and down mountains, 135 miles across a desert and ending at the top of a mountain, a marathon to the South Pole, and I'm currently reading about a 200 mile race he ran. I know the mental struggles I have about working out--questioning what I can do--but my struggles are minuscule compared to what it takes to complete ultramarathons. Reading this book makes me even more committed to exploring my limits--what am I capable of doing physically at age 60. I've also realized that I need to add this kind of reading to my training--being inspired by how other people are training, what their struggles are, and what they've been able to accomplish. Any suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment