Tuesday, May 3, 2011

So Happy Together

One of the many things I like about our new trikes is that Liz and I are having fun cycling together. For many years in our relationship, Liz and I trained and worked out together. When we were both much younger, we lifted weights and ran together. We even did one or two triathlons (I can't remember which). Then when we both started having injuries from running, we shifted to rollerblading, which really accelerated when we started doing the Northshore Inline Marathon together.

We also took a lot of classes together at the various health clubs we belonged to--spinning, step, and aerobic classes, along with lifting weight. I really enjoyed working out together.

When Liz stopped working full time at MSR, we stopped going to the health club together. We were living in Belchertown and the health club was in Northampton, and Liz had no reason to get up early to drive there. We still did a lot of rollerblading together on the bike path that was close to our house. But then when we moved to Northampton, the closest bike path wasn't that great--only about 3 miles long, so I started rollerblading during the week on the road in front of our house. There's a big downhill stretch either way you take that road, and Liz didn't feel comfortable on it. Then I started getting crazy about my training, really working on my speed, so the few times we'd try blading together weren't really that fun, because I'd want to go much faster.

So, given our history in recent years, I've been a bit suspicious about whether we were really going to be cycling together. This morning for example, when I woke Liz to see if she wanted to cycle with me, I was expecting her to say that she wanted to sleep in and go by herself later. She was in Brattleboro last night and didn't get to bed until late. But she hopped right up and went out with me. Also, our pace is the same, so we're cycling together. We're interested in doing the ride for The Food Bank in September but haven't decided on 50 or 100 miles yet.

My fear when I broke my arm and my leg was that I would never be able to train again. Who knew that it would result in Liz and me being able to start training together again--something we really enjoyed for many years and I hope can do for a long time in the future.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment