Sunday, June 5, 2011

Beer!

I have been spending a lot of time contemplating what kind of alcohol and dessert I want for my birthday. Such hard decisions. I really wanted to go to Delaware to visit my favorite brewery--Dogfish Head. But I couldn't get Liz to agree to go. I get her point. She doesn't drink and couldn't drink beer if she wanted to because of her gluten allergy. But really, doesn't that make her the perfect designated driver.

I tried many strategies--the best I thought was the guilt-trip. Remember my 60th birthday? I had to spend it in a wheelchair. I couldn't do anything. Don't you think you should help me to have the birthday I want this year? Besides, I've never been to Delaware, and I'm pretty sure it'll put me ahead of Sara on the state list. She was way behind me until the summer she lived with us and then we took her to a bunch of states she hadn't been to and she moved ahead. Ungrateful kid.

None of my arguments with Liz were persuasive.

Then today, I was whining about this to Gina after our bike ride, and Gina said that she checked online and the brewery is near Rehoboth Beach, which is a fabulous vacation spot. Liz's ears perked up. Then I went to the Dogfish Head website and saw that they're having a festival the weekend of 6/25, with music, artists, great beer, etc., and that it's only a 6 and 1/2 hour drive from here (assuming minimal NYC traffic, so maybe 8 hours). We're going! I bought the tickets and reserved a hotel room. I'm quite excited. The beer tasting is from 11-5. Liz may spend some or most of that time on the beach, but I'm going to be tasting some fabulous beers.

Today, Gina, Liz, and I did the 30 mile route Gina and I did 2 weeks ago. It's amazing how quickly 30 miles has become a fairly easy ride. For the first time, when we got home from a long ride, Liz and I both had a lot of energy, except when it came to climbing up or down stairs.

I'm still debating 50 vs. 100 miles in the fall. My brother says 50, my trainer says 100. They both have good arguments. My trainer said I could do 50 right now, which is true. It wouldn't feel like much of an accomplishment. My brother said that I shouldn't push it so much we're not enjoying it, and he's the third or fourth person to say that you really die after 75 miles. So it wouldn't hurt to have another year of riding under our belts before we go for the 100. I don't think we have to decide until shortly before the weekend, so we'll see how the summer goes.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

1 comment: