Friday, June 24, 2011

Friday Night

Today was a very long day. Our 6.5 hour drive not including traffic turned into a 10 hour trip with traffic. We kept running into accidents, including a semi that tipped over on the highway. They imported a dumpster for the occasion, and were emptying the content into the dumpster before attempting to right it.

All the delays meant we were now moving with the Friday after-work traffic. There were many hours that we could have moved much faster on our trikes, but what would we have done with our car?

My exhaustion vanished as soon as we checked into our motel. Not because our motel was luxurious--we walked into the smell of chemical spray plus mold. That first impression was enhanced by our introduction to a roach struggling for life in the bathroom. If the roach can't survive, do we humans have any chance? I was going to take a picture of It for your edification, but it seems to have fully recovered and moved on from the bathroom. I don't want to think about where it is now.

The reason I was revived was because we were heading to the Dogfish Head restaurant for dinner. I had 2 great beers with my hamburger and fries. The first was Midas Touch--it is brewed using a recipe found in King Midas's tomb and based on the oldest known recipe for a fermented beverage. I tell you--King Midas knew what he was drinking. The other beer was Tah'Tea. It's a beer based on a 9th century Finnish recipe, so as I drank it, I thought about my ancient Finnish ancestors who drank a similar brew. All I was missing was the sauna. Here's the entrance to the restaurant:




We got into a conversation with the couple next to us. They were here for the event tomorrow too. They're staying at a B& B within walking distance of the brewery. We're going to see if we can move there tomorrow, for the air-quality if nothing else, although we'll miss the roach. But if we can move, I can drag myself home from the beer bash if Liz decides that the beach is more fun than the brewery.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment