Monday, June 27, 2011

Gee But It's Great to Be Back Home!

We just got back. We were making good time, but it took us an hour and a half extra between the New Jersey toll plaza and the George Washington Bridge. I don't know how people deal with that traffic on a regular basis.

The weekend was really fun. Yesterday we cycled 20 miles on the coastal highway. It has a nice wide bike lane. It's amazing how easy it is to go 20 miles when it's flat, nut it is a little boring. The terrain was pretty much the same the whole route--mainly very tall (8') grasses, interspersed among large condo developments. Once in a while we'd get a peak through to the ocean on one side or the bay on the other. Riding on our trikes in traffic is much scarier than being on a bike. Whenever we came up on a car stopped at a stop sign on a side street, I'd try to get the driver's attention by waving. The driver's sightline was over our heads looking for a break in the traffic, and if there was one when we were in front of their car--you get the picture. Most drivers were nice enough to wave back so I knew we were safe, but when they didn't, I didn't know if they didn't see us or were just being jerks.

We also went swimming and lay on the beach before and after our ride. It felt really great afterwards. The temperature was in the high 80s, although it didn't feel that hot when we were cycling. Nonetheless, the 70 degree water cooled us down immediately. Here is Liz on the boardwalk with a police officer who wanted to get in the picture, a picture of the beach, and one of me on the beach. Notice Liz and I wearing Dogfish t-shirts and me with a Dogfish hat.











While we did good on exercising over the weekend, eating was another matter. the rest areas on the New Jersey Turnpike are an object lesson in why the US has a problem with obesity. There really weren't any healthy choices. Burger King has a chart with the calories for everything they serve on it, so I got the lowest calorie food of what was available, but didn't really feel like I was eating good, nutritious food. And we had hamburgers and fries in Rehoboth Beach, along with ribs and other tasty food, not to mention all the beer I drank. Stepping on the scale tomorrow I'm sure will reflect the excesses of the weekend.

Now that my birthday celebrating is over, it's time to make a new pledge. No more alcohol until Christmas Eve. No more dessert until Thanksgiving.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

1 comment: