Friday, May 6, 2011

Friday Night

Liz and I went cycling at 5 tonight. I would have to say that it's the first time in our nearly 27 years together we've worked out on a Friday after work. We both love cycling so much, it didn't matter that we were tired and hungry.

I keep finding myself comparing cycling to blading. I really don't want to try to convince myself that I don't love blading, but it's also nice to see that I'm not doing a second-best sport because I can't do the best one.

What I was noticing today was the freedom of cycling. We explored some roads that I've never been on in my 39 years of living in western Mass. We discovered how to get on one of the bike paths near our home. A section of it hadn't been paved yet--I assume it's going to be paved, which made no difference for cycling. Also, some of the roads were too crappy to blade on.

I'm using mapmyride on my iPhone to track my time, distance, and speed, and noticed today that I go exactly the same speed down the hill from our house that I did on blades--30 mph.

We cycled up the 2 mile hill back to our house for the first time since the first time we went out on our trikes, and I was really pleased at how much easier it was. We don't cycle on any other hill that's that long, but cycling around here means cycling on hills so we've clearly been getting stronger. We're thinking about doing a 30 mile ride on Sunday. Seeing how that goes will give us an initial indication of whether we can do 100 miles in September.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment