Sunday, May 22, 2011

Left Behind

So I wasn't among the select to make it to heaven, so I'm still here to cycle, work out, and blog.

I had a great ride with Gina Nortonsmith yesterday. We cycled nearly 30 miles, heading up to the center of Conway, over to Deerfield, and back home. There were only 2 bad parts to the ride. The first was that it really poured for a few miles. I was wearing shorts and a long-sleeved t-shirt and I was freezing. I felt like quitting, but how do you actually do that when you're about half-way out. We were doing a circle by going through Deerfield and I was feeling happy about missing some of the big uphills on our return when the thought hit me--the Haydenville Bridge was out, which meant that we had to take the detour. Not only did that mean having to go up the hills I thought we were going to avoid, but the detour itself was mainly uphill, and part of it was unpaved and my rear wheel would periodically spin out from under me. Not fun when you're exhausted. But all that went away when we started on the downhill section of the ride home.

I was really cold and tired when I got home, so I took a shower, a hot tub, and a nap. That was all I needed to be ready to celebrate being left behind. If Bob and Diana had had any vodka, I would have had a martini. I rationalized that I had just burned 800 calories cycling, and a martini doesn't have that many calories. I'm actually glad they didn't have any vodka and I stuck to my commitment.

I decided to take today off. The morning was really chilly and I had a bunch of Market Street Research work to do. I got Bennett all to myself this afternoon because Liz is in San Francisco, which I was psyched about because Liz is currently Bennett's favorite. Here's a picture of her climbing a spider's web made of rope at the playground at Jackson Street School. What a cutie pie:




After the climb she was getting on a swing and fell onto the ground. After I comforted her, I was trying to carry her to my car, but that's just not good for my back. I can pick her up and play with her, but walking while carrying her hurts. I was explaining to her that I couldn't carry her, but she's at the why stage. Why can't I carry her? Because of my back. Why because of my back? Because it hurts. Why does it hurt? Because I'm old. She put it all together, "You used to be able to pick me up and carry me all the time, but now you're old and can't carry me." Wow, did she have to be that blunt? I immediately picked her up and carried her. But only for about 10 feet. It's hard to deny the truth. Out of the mouths of babes.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment