Wednesday, March 2, 2011

On the Bench

Wow, did I have a great workout today. I told Mark I wanted sore muscles tomorrow, and he started me with 4 sets of bench presses, 25, 35, 45, 55 pounds, 15 reps of each. After the 55 pounds, I immediately did as many push-ups as I could, which turned out to be 3. Then I did 15 more bench presses at 45 pounds, followed immediately by 15 dips on the bench, and 15 very modified pushups. I then got a 1 minute break, repeated the bench presses, dips, and push-ups, and added 12 shoulder presses with 12 pound weights. Then I repeated all of that and added doing a plank with my hands on the sides of a Swiss ball until my arms we quivering so much I couldn't hold myself up any longer. Then I repeated that whole thing two more times. It was amazing!

I really love the way I feel on Fitness Together days. I asked Mark what he thought about me requesting workouts that make me sore all the time. He said that soreness isn't necessarily the best sign of a great workout--that I should be looking for a workout that challenges me, that I feel like I've given my all, but that doesn't have to mean my muscles are sore. I realized two things in thinking about what he said. The first is that I'm worried that I won't continue to advance in my fitness working out two days a week unless I'm having super-tough workouts, so that request was coming somewhat out of fear. The second thing is that saying that I want sore muscles is how I know how to say I want a challenging workout. I'm going to try other ways of saying that.

I'm felling a bit more back in the swing of things today.

1 comment:

  1. I am glad you are back in the swing of things. Keep it up, you are inspiring through you journey - even the struggle. Maybe I should say, especially through the struggle.

    ReplyDelete